ESTP Learning Style
In ESTPs, interest in learning a subject is driven by the question, “Will learning this help me act more effectively?” If the answer is yes, the more thoroughly and specifically they can learn what they can do, the greater their interest in the topic, and the greater their desire to apply what they learn. Their interest in studying something is stimulated by the desire to find practical solutions to pressing problems.
ESTPs understand learned information in a concrete, factual way and immediately grasp how it can be applied. They can learn well in both an organized educational system (e.g., an organized degree or certification program), as well as from sources not unified by a single formal learning process (e.g., individual courses or readings). They are able to learn material on their own - mostly that of practical nature.
They easily and quickly retain new material if it is presented as a practical guide for action. ESTPs are capable of remembering material built on a logical framework, as well as substantial amounts of information lacking logical cohesion. Retention is improved if the material is delivered using a variety of examples. ESTPs are able to accurately reproduce received information, including details of rapidly changing environment.
ESTPs are capable of actively using material they have learned well and understood in concrete, straightforward applications.
ESTPs have a moderate level of tolerance to high levels of learning related stress. They do not always evenly distribute their efforts when learning new material.
What is your personality type? Take the Test!
An ESTP’s learning is improved when:
- Material is illustrated using concrete, real-life examples
- Material is of a practical nature
- Logical flow is evident in the delivery of the material
- Active learning methods such as debates, brainstorming and contests are used
- They participate in group work with the material
An ESTP’s learning is hindered when:
- Material is overly conceptual
- Material lacks practical application (strongly reduces interest)
- Material appeals primarily to the finer feelings