ISTP Learning Style
In ISTPs, interest in learning a subject stems from the question, “How does this work?” The more precisely they can learn how something can be put to use or how they can operate it, the greater their interest in learning about it and actually putting the knowledge to practice.
Their interest in studying something is driven by their desire to learn skills that will allow them to work actively with (e.g., operate, maintain, repair) various devices and systems.
ISTPs are capable of grasping sets of practical information, as well as information based on logical conclusions. They easily comprehend new material when it is delivered using straightforward, real-life examples. ISTPs understand the learning material concretely and immediately grasp how it can be applied. They are capable of independently assimilating new material. Group work with the material being studied does not give an ISTP any advantage compared to independent work. ISTPs are capable of accurately reproducing received information and are able to notice and remember many small details of a rapidly changing sequence of events.
ISTPs are also capable of working actively with material they have learned and understood well. They can precisely and skillfully apply it in concrete tasks.
ISTPs have a moderate degree of tolerance to high levels of learning related stress. They do not always evenly distribute their efforts when it comes to learning new material.
What is your personality type? Take the Test!
An ISTP’s learning is improved when:
- Material is practical in nature
- The same material is repeatedly presented (improves retention)
- Material is presented using various examples (improves retention)
- There is logical flow in the presentation of learning material
- Material is delivered at a moderate pace
- Lecture materials are available (may improve exam preparation)
An ISTP’s learning is hindered when:
- Material is overly theoretical
- Material deals mostly with problems, rather than their solutions
- Material lacks practical application (strongly reduces interest)
- Material appeals to the finer feelings